We're told we won't get power back until Thursday earliest, probably Friday. PEPCO's going to be flayed and rolled in salt, this an election year and bashing utilities sound politics, and GOOD! the greedy motherfuckers. It's a hot house, we're out of hot water. We threw out our refrigerated food this morning because today is trash day and next week we'll be away. I'm eating hummus and Trisketts, my hand-crank flashlight is giving me hand-cramp, I'm reading like shit and sleep like don't, but Heh!
The snow, the heatwave, an earthquake, a once in ten years thunderstorm that reveals me a wuss in my presumption of endless air conditioning when dark, real dark, burning candles not for potpourri but because it's dark, happens, it's..... serendipitous to a fraud who perceives himself a weathervane.
- Is culture redeemable?
- More Jensen, with horrible examples of his theories.
- Zero sum.
- E.J. Dionne teaches a class at Hilltop. I'm told by professors I know who know him that Dionne has said privately what he published yesterday for years but felt a professional/collegial responsibility to wait for Fox to deepfox before declaring moral outrage, and pwoot, the time when old fart's farts would have meant fart have pwooted and gone.
- Leaky vessels.
- Fred Hiatt says, Nothing to see, move along.
- On dung beetles.
- UPDATE! Populism and the mob.
- Obama's not going to nominate Warren. Obama is a pussy.
- UPDATE! Even if Obama does, so what? But he won't.
- Krugman's obamapostasy is going to be awesome.
- It is important, if to no effect, to point out pigs be pigs.
- UPDATE! The existential threat that is Bill Murray.
- Report from parallel earth.
- Are the American people obsolete?
- But first, the whores!
- O'Malley dwindles.
- UPDATE! Purple Line!
- Ron Paul campaigns for Roscoe Bartlett? Nuff said.
- Best DC area colleges to work for?
- Fuck me jig, mofos:
- Technology and the novel.
- Silliman's weekly linkapalooza.
- To be honest, not only is The Road bad, I think everything since Blood Meridian pretty awful (and redundant).
- UPDATE! What you can buy me for my birthday. When we were in San Francisco two Springs ago and went to the SFMOMA, the entire third floor was given to a Friedlander show; astonishing.
- UPDATE! In my post about eating in Gaithersburg, in the comments, I mentioned the PopShop had been torn down, and in one of the rooms above the PopShop my friend Barry Friedlander had his art studio. Too much serendipity is a symptom of clusterfucks, but I love me serendipity.
- Might as well see it here.
- Laird Hunt?
- Good thing I have access to a university library's stacks.
- UPDATE! Well, this is a moral dilemma.
- Another GbV mix!
- UPDATE! What the fuck is Jack White doing on my radio?
- UPDATE! Guess what I'm looking for tonight in the CD pile.
I remember him falling beside me,
the dark stain already seeping across his parka hood.
I remember screaming and running the half mile to our house.
I remember hiding in my room.
I remember that it was hard to breathe
and that I kept the door shut in terror that someone would
I remember pressing my knuckles into my eyes.
I remember looking out the window once
at where an ambulance had backed up
over the lawn to the front door.
I remember someone hung from a tree near the barn
the deer we'd killed just before I shot my brother.
I remember toward evening someone came with soup.
I slurped it down, unable to look up.
In the bowl, among the vegetable chunks,
pale shapes of the alphabet bobbed at random
or lay in the shallow spoon.
Yes, another bout of Mazzy Star has hit: