No grand conclusions, no ridiculous predictions, but I see what United sees in Andy Najar, though he's small and can be easily shouldered off the ball. He's only seventeen, so maybe he'll get bigger. The most nagging question: Is it pronounced na-HAR like I think or NAY-jer like Skip and John?
UPDATE! Via the video posted bottom, it's na-HAR.
And no grand conclusions or ridiculous predictions beyond this: most pleasing beyond the beautiful goals (and all I truly ask out of life are beautiful goals) was the urgency United displayed. They needed to win and they played desperate, they played aggressive. More, please, starting this Saturday at the dumbass kickoff time of four fucking o'clock v Metros.
- I wondered why Barra started chanting Ben-ny Ol-sen around the 35th minute: I didn't know Onalfo had been kicked out for cursing out the ref. Benny was the field coach for the last 2/3 of the game.
- Cristian Castillo - I didn't realize how small he is until he stood next to Najar, and I think his biggest problem is he doesn't like to hit or be hit, which is FAIL! in MLS. Still, his best game for DCU so far.
- Jordan Graye was abused, simply abused, by some tall blonde dude name Brek Shea who ran at and around Graye like Graye was a traffic cone. It's a good think Brek Shea can't finish.
- Wallace is not improving at left back.
- When Devon McTavish is the best defender on the field depth at defender is lacking.
- Cristman's goals were exceptionally well-taken. He can't create his own shot, but if fed he can finish.
- Simms, Quaranta, and Moreno were given minutes for fitness, which, considering United has games Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, is a good sign.
- Emilio? Really? End of the Allsopp Era?
- I've never seen RFK so empty
- That's 100 level five minutes before kick-off. Was there some other sporting event happening in DC at the same time? Who won?
Again, joy at goals, joy at winning, joy at another USOC game at RFK on May 19, joy that we still have a chance at games in Germantown this summer, caution that United needs six points in the two league matches in the next seven days.