Had lunch yesterday with a history professor whose class (fifteen years ago) was terrific and who I've always deferred to, in our subsequent friendship, as the more knowledgeable; he has the most awesome memory of anyone I've ever met, remembers details of books he read decades ago, has multiple books on French history published, editor of standard French history textbooks, etc.... Nice guy too.
We got to politics. He lowered his voice in confidentiality, and asked me, do you realize what the Bush Administration has done to Habeus Corpus? and I ate my fruit salad while, in his horrified-voice, with all the scholarly authority invested in him by him (and me), he told me nothing that all of us haven't been saying since 2002. I said as much, and he said, well, yes, but you didn't have any proof, by which he meant credentialed authority.
Yawn. What's disorienting isn't that teachers can be fools, it isn't that many teachers begrudge truths they hear from students until they come to that truth themselves and proclaim it original. What's disorienting is that nothing anyone I've granted authority does is disorienting anymore.
- There is no peace process.
- The World's Shittiest Human says Israelis pussying-out on genocide would be "shameful."
- Speaking of war porn.
- Reverse minstrelsy.
- The insignificance of Leon Panetta.
- The shit-eating US Senate.
- Mediation on war and X after Billy Zoom left.
- Omen? (h/t Jonathan) Click.
- Response to the above.
- Much explained.
- Locking down DC.
- Montag hates everything.
- Sandy Underpants shits you not.
- Dan's started another food-fight!
- 2009 fiction releases!
- DC's third most literate city? (h/t Nigel)
- !!!!! BIG! h/t Agi. Listen to his advice.
- Holy sweet Jeebus, hear new Animal Collective single, My Girls. Holy sweet jeebus-in-bliss Saint Fuckity-Fuck. Best. Band. Making. Music. Now.
- Holy sweet Jeebus, listen to Megapuss (choose Crop Circle Jerk '94)
Thought about the Ass Ponies lately?